1. Money

So You Want to Become an Event Planner?

By May 11, 2007

When some people consider the role of an event planner, they imagine a job working with luxury hotels, dining on gourmet meals, listening to world music, traveling to incredible destinations, being driven occasionally by private car services, and contracting outside staff who will take care of your every need. My advice: don't confuse a guest's experience with those who are there to work the event.

An event planner invests hours, days, weeks, and even months of detailed work to orchestrate the program. And the reality is that most of the projects aren't as glamourous or fashionable as the above romanticized scenario. Event planners often spend their time coordinating smaller meetings in corporate conference rooms, or city and suburban chain hotels. They confirm catering, audio/visual and other event needs.

This work is filled with binders, notes, phone calls, client meetings, and thousands of e-mails. It requires strong organization skills and the ability to anticipate exactly what your event guests will need to ensure a successful program. Despite the volume, it's not bad work if you can get it. Interested in learning more about what is an event planner?

Comments
July 3, 2008 at 6:56 pm
(1) Tiffany says:

This is still what I want to do, I want the stress of deadlines, however I also want to joy of knowing that I am helping someone with their event.

January 16, 2009 at 9:07 am
(2) Sandralina says:

It’s what I woulld like to do and I will be happy to know that I made happy some people in helping them to realise their dreams (Weeding, anniversary, etc…..)

January 30, 2009 at 5:51 am
(3) meena says:

its still i want to do. i want to work under pressure as it involves creativity and thinking out of the box. i want to be a part of several minds and peoples hardwork to make an event a success.

October 28, 2009 at 11:48 am
(4) sarah says:

I definitely want to be an event planner. It starts at home. I use these skills in my everyday life and it comes naturally. I do know and understand that I need experience which is what I am doing now. I think the actual execution of the event is the high that you look for as a planner, seeing the client’s as well as your dream come to life.

November 27, 2009 at 11:29 pm
(5) Kmanilla says:

There’s some more very helpful info on how to become an event planner available at the website:

May 29, 2010 at 9:20 pm
(6) Lorraine says:

I am really excited about this, the skills that are needed I have gained from employment and day to day life expierences. It would bring me joy to know that I have helped someone achieve their goals and made their dreams come true.